Tuesday, August 18, 2009

$400 for a ticket???!!!!

Today started with a drive from San Dimas (which is in the LA area) down to San Diego.  I have been feeling really extra tired lately, so I decided that I wanted to drive the 15 passenger van.  I thought that it would be good for me to overtax my brain driving in So Cal.  (Is my sarcastic tone coming across?)  About an hour into the trip, I started seeing spots in my vision.  This usually means that my hole field of vision will be invaded my spots and squiggly lines soon, I'm going to get a super crazy migraine, so I decided that it would be best for me to get off the freeway and let Linn drive, thus ensuring the safety of 4 interns, my husband, my 4 month old child, and myself.  So I'm a little nervous, thinking at any minute I'm not going to be able to see, so I get off the freeway and (try to) make a beeline for the nearest gas station.

As I am about the pull into the gas station, I see a police man turn on his flashing lights, and pull behind me.  I said, "oh great! what did I do?"  I had no idea what happened.  So he asked me for my license and registration.  I'm from Ohio, driving a YUGO van, in some small town between cities, headed to San Diego, but eventually headed to Tijuana.  So he asks be where I'm going and where I've been, and I honestly had a hard time answering the question!  He proceeded to ask me if I noticed the three signs indicating "No turn on red" at the intersection that is right off the freeway.  Pretty embarrassed, I honestly answered "No."  In that moment, I remembered that Linn told me that it's always best to try and get out of your ticket as a woman, because a lot of times the policeman will have pity on you and let you go.  So I proceeded to tell him that I was on the freeway, thought my vision was going, and decided that it would be best to get off the freeway, thus honestly did not see the signs when I got off the freeway.  Thankfully, he believed me, and understood my dilemma, and said, "Well, I'm going to let you go with a warning, but I just want to let you know that it would have been a $400 ticket."  I was REALLY relieved!!!!!!  As a side note...what craziness is it to charge a week's salary for a ticket??  I guess that'll teach ya to ever try to drive again if you ever break a slight law.

Anyway...so I didn't end up getting a migraine, which was awesome.  I haven't had a headache like that in a long time, so I'm kind of holding my breath waiting for it to happen again.

We got to San Diego, went to a mall to hang out for a couple hours, then headed to our hotel for the night.  Tomorrow we're going to take the interns to the San Diego Zoo, and we're going to get some work done.

My stomach has been hurting...I have been having a hard time sleeping the past few nights...we're trying to leave Saturday...finish up caring for Claudia...cook food for the board meeting on Thursday...care for Adah...take interns to the airport...have meetings...pray for peace in the midst of all that God has for us.

1 comment: